We are searching for a strong visionary leader who is highly relational to lead our high school / young adult ministry into the future. We understand that today’s students are wary of organized religion and skeptical of authority, but they are intrigued by Jesus. We know that reaching today’s students requires more than just a new model of ministry; it’s a whole new conversation. We’re passionate about engaging young people and addressing the messy and complex questions that they are asking.
Seneca Creek gives staff wide latitude to innovate and the freedom to pursue new ideas. The ideal candidate will collaborate with our middle school director to develop long-term goals across middle and high school ministry. The high school / Young adult pastor will sit on the staff alignment team to foster collaboration and integration of students into the wider church body.
Ideal candidates must have experience ministering in a multi-ethnic, racially diverse context. They must be comfortable entering the messy world of teenagers and willing to reach out to teens who are far from God. They must be able to confidently address relevant issues facing students with grace and truth that is not judgmental or condemning. They must possess excellent public speaking skills with the ability to contextualize the gospel in culturally relevant ways that include the effective use of media.
It is critical that candidates are able to relate to and develop adult volunteers while at the same time develop a strong student leadership team. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated and a self-starter able to think strategically, and define a path forward to accomplish ministry initiatives.
- Lead, manage, and oversee the ministries to young people at Seneca Creek, ensuring that programs and systems are aligned with the overall church vision and values and effectively accomplish our mission.
- Recruit, equip, and deploy adult leaders to carry out the relational ministry that strives for excellence in reaching and discipling young people.
- Develop teams of high school student volunteers who are actively engaged in serving in high school ministry.
- Collaborate with lead pastor and creative arts team to create a Sunday worship experience that includes and engages high school and college students.
- Develop and oversee an effective high school small groups ministry that is strategically discipling students in biblical literacy and HOPE as described in the Seneca Creek Vision.
- Shepherd and invest in current young adults (18-25 years) to further develop and expand our ministry to young adults.
- Ensure that ministries are outreach-oriented and reaching those who are disconnected from the Church.
- Ensure that our ministry to minors is taking the precautions necessary to protect youth from injury or abuse and mitigating our risks by ensuring that our youth protection policy is observed.
- Help develop and facilitate a cohesive ministry pipeline from childhood through young adult, including collaborating with other staff to develop effective bridges between age groups.
- Build rapport and maintain regular communication with parents of students.
- Collaborate with other pastors and directors to carry out the church’s strategic initiatives to effectively accomplish the mission and vision of the church.
- Read, study, attend seminars, network, etc. to ensure continual personal and professional growth.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- A mature faith in Christ demonstrated by a life that is growing in the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Minimum five years experience leading in student ministry
- Youth ministry and/or theological training from an accredited institution
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build rapport with adult volunteers and students.
- Strong cultural competence and the ability to minister effectively in a multi-ethnic, culturally diverse setting.
- Strong teaching gifts with the ability to develop and deliver culturally relevant messages that engage, challenge, and inspire students to grow.
- Big picture thinker with the ability to set strategy and long range goals
- Passion and willingness to manage the tension between outreach and discipleship.
- Ability to connect with a multi-ethnic congregation in a mixed urban/suburban setting.
- A team player with a commitment to the unity of the staff team and church
- Teachable and curious, continually pursuing personal and theological growth
- Ability to affirm, practice, and uphold an egalitarian theology.
- Ability to fully commit to the beliefs, mission, vision, and values of Seneca Creek Community Church
Full-time 40-45 hours per week (exempt)
Salary Package Includes: Health insurance, 403b Retirement, Vacation/sick leave, Long term disability insurance, Continuing professional development budget
Reports to: Executive Pastor
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Careers@senecacreek.org